September 2020 update
This blogpost is my monthly newsletter sent to subscribers earlier this month. If you want to receive this blogpost before reading it here, sign up to receive it straight to your inbox before I post it here.
The last couple of months have been calm and busy! I took some time off in August and then hit the ground running in September – my D&T projects have moved a long in the last month and (as usual) I have started some new ones!
Learning to Teach D&T book
This was officially published last week and I know many of you have purchased a copy because you’ve shared your pictures on Twitter, which is great but I’m not happy because I haven’t received a copy yet! (Update: I have received my copy – in fact multiple copies!)
Resources to accompany the Learning to Teach book
Matt McLain and I worked together with several contributors to create PowerPoints to support some of the chapters.
- Chapter 1 Design and Technology in the Secondary School Alison Hardy
- Chapter 5 Preparing to teach with materials technology Alan Bright
- Chapter 8 Preparing to teach food within the secondary school curriculum. Marion Rutland and Angela Turner
- Chapter 9 Teaching about disruption: a key feature of new and emerging technologies Torben Steeg, David Barlex, & Nick Givens
- Chapter 12 Planning lessons in design and technology Sarah Davies
- Chapter 13 Key Pedagogies in Design and Technology Matt McLain
- Chapter 14 Planning for progression in design and technology Alison Hardy
- Chapter 16 Developing links with other subjects Deborah Winn
- Chapter 18 Transitions after Secondary design and technology Rebecca Topps
- Chapter 19 Your professional development Liam Anderson
I am also working with Sarah Davies and Matt on a webinar to support chapters 12, 13 and 14 – book out for details on twitter or sign up to receive early notification.
Let’s talk about D&T events
I ran 3 of these over the summer about curriculum, pedagogy and knowledge. It was great fun to catch up with D&T colleagues from across the UK.
Look out for more of these in 2021.
Value of D&T project
Wow – this project is motoring a long!
14 schools are participating in the pilot study (although with so many it might become part of the main study) and they are trying out the next version of the survey to measure and compare what different people value about D&T. The survey will be sent to pupils aged between 1 & 16 plus the D&T teachers in the school.
We have 2 questions at this stage:
- Can we use our survey to understand the values attributed to D&T by different groups of people?
- If yes, can this help us understand whether the value each person attributes is a factor in their motivation/behaviour towards D&T?(If its a ‘no’ then we’ll rethink the survey)
We hope to be able to share some of our findings in the next few months.
(If you’re new to my mailing list you can hear about the project in Episode 24 Understanding the value of D&T)
Talking and Thinking about design and/or technology 2.0
The project Eddie Norman and I have been working on is still open for comments and contributions. It will feature in our keynote speech for the DATTARC conference in December.
If you are involved in D&T education please take a look at the first iteration on my website of our new book ‘Talking and Thinking about design and/or technology 2.0’. Let us know what you think and how you would like to contribute.Debates in Design and Technology Education.
I’ll end where I began – with a book.
In July, I sent off the proposal for the 2nd edition of Debates in Design and Technology Education, the reviews have come back positively and later this month we hope to hear that Routledge editorial board have given it the go ahead (update – they have so its all systems go!.
PS If you enjoy what I share, you can always buy me a virtual coffee!
New Talking D&T Episodes
TD&T041 Does substantive and disciplinary knowledge work for D&T?
TD&T043 Join our research project
TD&T044 Talking signature pedagogies with Matt McLain
TD&T045 Why D&T teachers will benefit from doing a masters (IMO)
TD&T046 Talking D&T with Diana Choulerton